Re:Collecting took place on Saturday 10th November 2012 when a group of like minded people with an interest in the heritage and history of Kilkenny came together for an afternoon and evening of exploration and recollection. Re:Collecting recorded a moment of pause and reflection at Evans' Home, between past and future inhabitation following a period of collaboration between Butler Gallery and Commonage.
During this time, architectural researcher Lisa Cassidy, artist Gypsy Ray (1949 - 2020) and geographers Gerry Kearns and Karen Till explored Evans’ Home, through the lens of their individual areas of expertise. View the Gypsy Ray Photography Commission.
Geographer Gerry Kearns led the first event of the day, a guided walk examining the locations and particularities of seats of power in relation to Evans’ Home and to the wider city of Kilkenny. The cold, crisp day provided perfect conditions for this informative and engaging event, during which participants were transported through the ages with stories of gruesome struggles for power and fascinating insights into Kilkenny’s military, religious and political history.
After a couple of hours to warm up, Re:Collecting continued at 7pm in St John’s Priory, with an evening of conversations and presentations from all four researchers on their findings on the social, cultural and architectural heritage of Evans’ Home. Many audience members also shared their memories and stories of Evans’ Home. Lisa Cassidy shared some of the oral history recordings she made at this event.
Evans' Home Interviews 2012
Re:Collecting also served as a launch for a publication containing
essays and reflections by the researchers and photographs by Gypsy Ray (1949 - 2020).
The Butler Gallery are grateful to all the many individuals, organisations and Kilkenny Borough and County Council departments who have shared their time, knowledge, enthusiasm and expertise in developing this project.
The Butler Gallery wishes to acknowledge the financial assistance provided under the Built Heritage element of the Environment Fund by the Department of Arts, Heritage and Gaeltacht and the European Regional Development Fund through the Ireland Wales Programme 2007 – 2013.