Butler Gallery EntranceRead more
Butler Gallery is located behind Carnegie Library looking out onto the river Nore. There are two access points.
From Barrack Lane:
- There is a slight incline up Barrack Lane to reach the entrance of the gallery.
- There is level access to the gallery from Barrack Lane gate.
- There is a wide concrete path surrounded by gravel leading up to the entrance door.
From John’s Quay:
- There is accessible parking at the Carnegie Library.
- There is an extensive ramp to the left of the main gate that leads to the main entrance.
- There is a second sloped ramp leading up to the entrance door.
- There is a handrail leading to the entrance door.
Butler Gallery Facilities & MobilityRead more
There is an information desk located in the reception room to the right of the entrance hall. Staff will be able to tell you what’s on and assist with information on the buildings facilities and artworks. There is a digital information panel with details of what’s on. There are also invigilators in the Collection Galleries and the O'Malley Wing who will be able to assist with audio equipment and any questions you may have regarding the buildings facilities.
All Gender Toilets
There are five all gender toilets at Butler Gallery. One is located in the corridor in the Learning Centre and one in the new building extension on the ground floor. Two are located on the corridor of the collection wing on the first floor. They are narrow toilets with wall mounted rails. There is one wheelchair accessible toilet with ample space for lateral transfers, low basin and wall mounted rail located in the new addition on the ground floor.
All toilets are single use. A key is not needed. All toilet doors open outward.
Baby Changing Facilities
There are baby changing facilities in the bathroom on the left beside the stairs in the new building extension.
Levels and lifts
The Main Gallery is accessed by passing through the café. There is level access. The Main Gallery is a double height room.
The Learning Centre can be accessed via a corridor to the left of the entrance hall. There is level access to the Learning Centre.
The Collection Galleries and the O’Malley Collection are on the first floor. There are three ways to access the first floor:
- The curved stone staircase in the main hall. There is a handrail and the staircase is brightly lit.
- The concrete staircase in the new building extension. There is a handrail and the staircase is lit with artificial lighting
- The lift in the new building extension. The lighting level in the lift is bright and there is a mirror to aid exiting the lift.
Seating is available around the building. You are welcome to take a folding gallery chair with you around the building.
Prams and Buggies
The building is fully accessible to prams and buggies.
Blind and Visually Impaired VisitorsRead more
Guide & Support DogsRead more
Only registered guide dogs and support dogs are allowed in the Butler Gallery. Dogs must be kept on leads at all times.